The Controller needs to be well versed in commercial construction and real estate transactions and will be responsible for preparing month-end closings, financial consolidations; providing financial advice through the study of financial data; company financial (monthly/annual) forecasting; meeting corporate reporting requirements; managing, training, and evaluating accounting personnel; developing internal control policies and procedures; and financial risk management.
This position reports directly to the Executive Vice President of Atlas and works very closely with the executive, accounting, and project management teams. In the performance of this function, it is the Controller’s responsibility to protect and promote company’s interests in all matters and to do whatever is reasonably necessary to discharge the duties and responsibilities which include, but are not necessarily limited to those listed below.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage accounting operations including G/L, Inventory/Cost Accounting and Revenue Recognition.
- Manage month-end closing and prepare monthly financial statements and other operational reports.
- Analyze variances and communicates explanations to management with recommended actions.
- Responsible for Accounts Receivables
- Prepare income statements, balance sheets, and statement of cash flows for the company.
- Work closely with Project Managers to obtain job projections monthly.
- Update projected revenues and costs for the Summary of Contracts monthly.
- Complete recurring journal entries.
- Reconcile Balance Sheet accounts monthly.
- Review and reconcile Income Statement accounts monthly.
- Reconcile direct general ledger job cost accounts to the Summary of Contracts monthly.
- Prepare financial statements including the Summary of Contracts monthly.
- Assist with administration of the general liability, and workman’s compensation renewals including audits.
- Integrate and train new bookkeeping staff and lead their continued professional development.
- Share best practices across finance team, e.g., process improvements, financial modeling and procedural changes.
- Provide proactive/unsolicited consultation, interpretation and education of complex financial and operational matters to various departmental leaders used to drive business decisions.
- Manage and comply with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings.
- Collaborate with President and senior management to explain results, make improvements, manage projects, identify inefficiencies, understand operations and lead the development of complex analysis.
- Monitor and implement company internal controls (in conjunction with corporate policies) as necessary to ensure reporting integrity, safeguard company assets, and identify risks.
- Ensure proper accounting in accordance with GAAP, as well as local statutory requirements.
- Analyze constructional information for producing forecasts about business, economic and industry conditions for undertaking construction activity.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Proficient with financial statement analysis and projection
- Good planning and organizational skills
- Strong analytical skills
- Experience in handling multiple, concurrent tasks and meeting deadlines
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret financial reports and legal documents
- Ability to respond effectively to the most sensitive inquiries from the business
- Ability to effectively communicate with management, public groups, peers and staff
- Excellent communication skills, internally and with clients
- Ability to build relationships with colleagues, clients and staff in charge
- Must demonstrate the highest standards of personal and professional integrity and character and promote ethical business behavior throughout the organization
- Demonstrate appreciation of and sensitivity toward a wide range of cultural and personal differences
- Must be a team player and act cooperatively with the business
- Ability to lead and motivate teams to reach a common goal
- Demonstrate strong and pragmatic business acumen
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Thorough knowledge of proper English usage/grammar, composition, spelling and punctuation.
- Ability to effectively make group presentations.
- Ability to establish and maintain working relationships with managers, co-workers, subcontractors, vendors and government inspectors.
- Familiarity with Federal, State, health, safety and OSHA regulations.
- Possess a valid Florida Driver’s License, ability to use personal vehicle for Atlas business and ability to meet Atlas’s minimum insurance requirements.
- Ability to pass a background check and drug screen.
Education and/or Experience:
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience as a Controller in the construction industry. Minimum of ten (10) years experience total
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance.
- A valid CPA, CMA or other related accounting designation (preferred)
- Thorough knowledge of accounting principles and procedures
- Experience with creating financial statements
- Experience with general ledger functions and the month-end/year end close process
- Excellent accounting software user and administration skills; experience with QuickBooks
- Intermediate to advanced Microsoft Excel skills.
- Must be a current Florida resident
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $100,000.00 – $130,000.00 per year
Supplemental pay types:
- Bonus opportunities
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Employee assistance program
- Monday to Friday
Address: Atlas Building Company
22 S. Links Avenue, Suite 200
Sarasota, FL 34236